The Effective Communication Checklist
Effective communication helps us better understand a person or situation and enables us to resolve differences.
It also allows us to build trust and respect, and create environments where creative ideas, problem solving, affection, and caring can flourish.
The goal is to develop trust
- Trust is the foundation of all good relationships and friendships.
- Trust in other team members is the cornerstone of high performance within the team.
Learn to listen
- “People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.”
- We all have two ears and one mouth – use them accordingly.
Seek to understand the other person’s point of view
- What is their goal?
- Your endeavours should result in mutual understanding, this does not necessarily mean agreeing with the other person, rather it’s appreciating and respecting their situation or point of view.
Focus your communication on the goal
- Discuss “how things can be done” rather than “why they can’t”.
- Don’t focus on problems or obstacles, focus on solutions to overcome them.
Handle conflict immediately
- Use differing opinions as stepping stones to clearer communication.
- Resolve conflict early and constructively.
Make communication a top priority
- Set goals and take action to improve your communication.
Do you need to develop your communication skills? LMA offers a number of courses that develop and refine this much needed skill, click here to view LMA’s courses.