Accountability is the key
Once a team has established trust, they have powerful potential to progress to a higher level – accountability among teammates.
In being accountable to each other, everyone takes on the responsibility of leading the team towards the accomplishment of the team’s goals. At this level, team effectiveness and efficiency is multiplied in numerous ways:
- “Buy-in” or “ownership” of the team increases dramatically
- Team members develop skills and abilities that contribute to the team and enhance other areas
- New and innovative solutions are generated
- Team members focus more on the team’s goals
- Team members provide feedback, accept constructive criticism and address issues head on
In many organisations, employees are accountable to their managers and to themselves – introduce accountability amongst teammates and enjoy the rewards.